Monday, January 12, 2009

UPDATE: I don't know when Jollibee, NY is opening now open!

Update #2: Jollibee, NY served its first batch of crispylicious chicken joy on Valentine's Day '09, after multiple false opening dates. One caveat, as earlier commenters noted, the fares are on the ridiculously costly side. However, this did not deter other Pinoys from lining up. Be prepared to stand in line for over 2 hours and temporarily forget about the recession. 

DISCLAIMER: The January 16 opening date is posted on Jollibee's storefront; apart from this, I have no inside "source." Apparently, at least according to a commenter, January 16 is still iffy. One way to know for sure is to visit Jollibee on the 16th with all fingers crossed. Or, there's always google. 

To answer the sixty-four thousand dollar question: Jollibee in Queens, NY is set to open on January 16, 2009 as announced on its storefront. If you have a Pinoy relative missing, wish to attend an impromptu reunion with your kababayans, or collar a Pinoy friend who owes you money, then be sure to visit Jollibee on opening day. I have a feeling that all the Pinoys in the east coast will converge under the fluourecent lights of a tangerine-themed restaurant as the smell of familiar Pinoy-style food wafts comfortingly in the air, reminding one of that tiny island thousand of miles away.

It is rather comical how this junkfood restaurant is much sought after. It is after all just your average, garden-variety fastfood which will be the death of anyone who were to diet exclusively on its fare. But I missed this deathtrap. I suppose it has something to do with the nuanced way they flavor the Chicken Joy which particularly appeals to my palate, or perhaps, I prefer kamote for my fries (not really). Or that there aren't that many choices for Pinoy comfort food in this part of the world. Or maybe, it's simply because that Jollibee makes the best damn palabok in the whole wide world. Jollibee, NY better be prepared for a deluge--I would raise hell if after travelling 35 miles I am told that they sold out of palabok.

This weekend, follow the orange brick road and it will lead you home.

***
Hey, Gerry, when are you joining the party?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know someone who will be working in Jollibee, but according to her, it may not open on time because the store is missing some kind of permit or something. Can anyone verify if this is true? Are you 100% sure Jollibee is openning January 16?? Or is that just a projected date, with the real date being the following week?

inked said...

Anon: Unfortch, I know as much (maybe even less) as you do. I suppose your friend is in a better position to confirm.

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's me again from the first post. I actually visited Jollibee last night and saw that the place is still half done. The flooring/tiles were half-way complete, and so did the interior (from what I could see from the window) of the kitchen area. There's still a LOT of equipment lying around, and there are no tables/chairs set up yet. I plan on checking the latest progress tonight again AND tomorrow to see whether or not they will open on time.

Also, I did NOT see the opening date of January 16 posted. I tried to find it along the glass storefront and door but did not see anything besides other work permits for construction. However, I did not look up at the awning where the Jollibee logo is located. Is that where the opening date is posted?

inked said...

Hi anon: Thanks for your update! The announcement used to be easily visible--I suppose they took off the sign on account of the delay?

I hope the wait will be over soon (yes, all this for palabok).

Anonymous said...

Hey! Ok, I checked back again last night, and I noticed that the place didn't change from the night before. So, I spoke with my inside source (the one I know will be working there), and she said that Jollibee might open in February instead. She also said there's some kind of NY state law regarding the construction policy, that's delaying the restaurant from opening.

IF this is truly the case (as anyone who has encountered state/government law should know), these "legal" issues/policies may take a while for things to settle...this kinda explains why it might not open tomorrow.

To double-check and see if some work progress was made, I'll trek back again a final time tonight, before the "supposed" opening date of Jan. 16 (even though Jan. 16 is highly unlikely). I'll try to post again tonight. Hopefully a new opening date is posted? I'll see and let you guys know.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! ok so it's official. According to my friend who'll be working in Jollibee, the store will open February 14th! (Hopefully for real this time). So, lets all hope for the best!

inked said...

Valentine's day opening, eh? Urgh last place I thought I'd spend the day but I suppose that's where we are headed.

Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

Jollibee is sure to open on Feb 14

Anonymous said...

Jollibee is now open! Place was soo crowded though, and i've heard that they only serve 700 fried chickens in a day which is not that much on their first opening.