In the '90s, he asked us to "Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a starter home. Choose dental insurance, leisure wear and matching luggage...But why would anyone want to do a thing like that?"
This time, Mr. Danny Boyle wants us to choose Slumdog Millionaire. I did and I did not even have to ask why I did. It was endearing, it was hilarious, it was wrenching and poignant all at once. In its periphery were the ugly consequence of religion, the exploitation of children, loss of innocence, the eternal hopelessness of poverty and squalor. At its core unfolded the love story of two children of the slums who beat the odds because "it was written" that they should be together.
It reminded me of Cidade de Deus (City of God) but less violent and, well, still different. I'll let Mr. Boyle tell the story. He sure knows how.
No comments:
Post a Comment