Saturday, November 8, 2008

Queen Bee: Jollibee in Queens still to now open!


Update: Jollibee in Queens, NY now OPEN!




Made a pilgrimage to Queens one drizzly Friday night, filled with visions of palabok and orange bucket of fried chicken in my head. Somehow managed to convince husband to travel 45 minutes for something he intensely despise (he is, ahem, we are vegetarians but I wanted to have chicken). He left work earlier than expected which raised my expectations up several notches.

It might be that the reason he was amenable to the idea was that he wanted to drive our very first conjugal asset. She is a beaut and a beast on the highway--so I would not be surprised. Whatever the reasons were, there we were in that part of Queens at 7 past, standing amidst the din of the subway above us, gawking at a sign that should have more appropriately read K.L.P.D. but instead went like this: Jollibee in Queens, NY COMING SOON!

I initially wanted to think it was a mistake. Maybe the original site was that particular corner bordered with cardboard walls but the owners ended up setting up shop further down the block where I vainly tried to strain for that familiar neon orange lights or that ubiquitous giant bee in prison-orange striped suit. Husband must have known there was nothing but disappointment down there so he half-dragged me back to our car.

The worst part was we ended up eating at Subway in Queens, 33 miles away from our place, when we could have done so at our very own friendly neighborhood Subway--a 2-minute walk from home. I did not like my dinner that night and did not hesitate one bit to have it known, much to the consternation of the husband. He soon bounced back and had the tantrums pegged as that time of the month.

Which was a bit unfair. Hormones might have had something to do with it but most of it was the irate mindset which "is often difficult to counteract its effects upon analysis and decision making processes," thank you, wikipedia. And how was the irascible mindset formed? Via Jollibee.com which shamelessly tricked me into venturing into that part of Queens which under normal circumstances I have no business in venturing into, by inherently claiming that the Jollibee there has opened by virtue of the absence of that very helpful line on their site along the lines of "under construction," in listing its US locations. Husband also claimed that this particular branch was reviewed in Yelp.com but that's most probably Jollibee the grocery and not the fast food.

I am still sore about the whole thing and it might assuage me to think that I will not be the only one who will be duped into taking that pilgrimage prematurely by concealing the fact that it has yet to open. At the end of the day though, I just want to know when that damn restaurant is opening and would someone please let me know about it.

***
Jollibee
62 -29 Roosevelt Ave.,
Woodside, NY 11735

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Good you told. I was about to make a similar trip!!!!

You know when they're opening?

inked said...

Anon: No idea. Will update once I have the info.

Unknown said...

As an alternative till jollibees pens, there's quite a few filipino restaurants lining roosevelt between 69th streets and 70th streets where you can get palapok...

Anonymous said...

so disappointed because it doen not taste like the original from the philippines.... and it is very expensive