There are many mysteries in life, one of which bothers me the most while I am browsing through the internet. It is the inexplicable behaviour of people to continue visiting/reading sites they avowedly disdainfully dislike. And this is something that affects me as I can be an exhibit A to this phenomenon.
There are about three blogs which I banned from my reading list either because the writing style does not appeal to me, the subject matter does not interest me or the combination of the two. Despite being able to define my reading list preferences, I still find myself on the same three sites that largely define what I, erm hate in blogs. In short, I am what I'd like to call a Han--a hating fan.
Many blog sites benefited from people like me, catapulting them to the most visited sites in all of cyberspace. Perezhilton.com is one such classic example of a hated website benefitting from the inadvertent support of the Hans. A cursory glance through the site's comment section will show that at least a handful of people took the time and made the effort to visit the site, read through at least one of the posts and hurl their insults at the site and author. Time and time again. In fact, "Most Hated Website" is an honor which the site triumphantly wears as an accomplishment.
I guess such behaviour reveals a curious inadvertent effect of hating and the alternate reality that exists with it. Typically, what happens is if one dislikes to an extent that one hates something, one will not support its propagation or its continued existence. In this case, however, the more the Hans hate, the more that it contributes to the existence of the object of hate.
So, even though I think these three blog authors should stop writing, but because I keep going back to these sites, regardless of the somersaults that my sensibilities are doing, they will continue to write. Because they are guaranteed of at least one reader, albeit a Han.
I should have one of those.
No comments:
Post a Comment