Thursday, February 28, 2008

Request

Dear India Cricket Team,
I am a huge fan. But unlike many others, I was an India cricket fan before I became a fan of the game itself (complete credit to Pathan). Nonetheless, it is to you that I owe my affection for the game.

I have sat through many of your games, vicariously being at the center of action either through cricinfo.com or live streams via prodigious bloggers. Though you did not win them all, you always, without fail, subject me to a roller coaster ride each time. No matter how formidable the runs that you made or how low you kept the runs of the other team, you always managed to somehow turn the match into a nail biter. I often wondered if, upon sensing the comfortable lead your team has over an opponent, you perform a collective gasp and think "Hey ram, we are giving them a beating. This is not proper. Let's play shoddy cricket until such time that the other team closes the gap and it is nearly too late for us to claw our way back into the match." If only your batsmen and bowlers have shown as much damning concern with their performance, then Bhaji would not have been an obnoxious weed but an obnoxious winner.

Contrary to popular belief exclusively espoused by your team, it is not necessary to wrestle defeat from victory. There is such a thing as being kind to your foes--but this is stretching it. Beat them all and comprehensively and stop putting me through an emotional circus.

Thanks,
Fan

No comments: